Monday, August 26, 2013

08-19-13 Canoeing Together



Today was a day of fast hiking. Aside from roots, rocks and the occasional mud, the trail eased out nicely.

I began the day hiking with Morning Kid. We arrived at the Sabbath Day Lean-To and beach in the morning, way ahead of schedule. It was too cold to swim, but still a welcome break.

The five miles, I hiked a good portion with Mash to the next stop: Swift River Pond Campsite. We arrived around lunchtime and took a nice long break, because stashed in the trees were canoes!

I was so excited to canoe. B and I took a spin around the lake where I realized I was more excited about the 'idea' of canoeing. I was more worried about flipping and the wobbly sensation of floating in the water. B was a natural; in fact, he told me it was probably best I didn't paddle. I agreed. This is one sport I don't think is for me.

By this time it was two in the afternoon; we had planned to get here in the evening to camp. Only five more miles to town.

That was it. Shoes were back on and we were headed to town. We arrived at the road at 4:15 and got a ride from Thelma into Rangely, Maine.

Had Thai for dinner. Then a pizza for second dinner. I didn't even feel full. At this stretch of the trail we are all experiencing an insatiable hunger.



2 comments:

  1. I have canoed with K. She has heart but not much skill. Love you K. ;) good thing B did the paddling and you enjoyed the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me laugh. I remember it all to well... ;-)

      Delete