Thursday, September 5, 2013

08-28-13 Together in Monson, Maine



An easy day. Only a six-mile nero into Monson, Maine. We were in town by 9:30 a.m.

Our first order of business: my mom's mail drop at the post office. Monson is a small town; the only place to buy "groceries" is a small gas station. We knew this ahead of time, and my mom was delighted to help us out with six days of trail food.
Rice sides. Spam. Snickers. A well-rounded diet. Thanks Mom!

We had a leisurely lunch with Mash, Morning Kid and Grey Cloud at "Thymes and Seasons". The restaurant is in a community center; they cook the food in the industrial kitchen somewhere else in the building, then wheel it to the other side to serve it. Not the fastest nor most efficient setup I've ever seen (from ordering to paying took 2 hours) the experience was one-of-a-kind.

We stayed at Lakeshore Inn in the attic. The inn was a lot of fun; downstairs was a restaurant and bar; out back the lake with water toys. It rained the latter half of the day, so we reluctantly hung out in the bar. From 4 to 6 was "Happy Hour," half price drinks.

The crew--Bamboo, Morning Kid, Shaman, Mash, Grey Cloud, B and I--set up "camp" amongst two tables.

It being a small town (and a Wednesday), the bar closes when there aren't any more patrons to serve. We "closed" the bar down at 8:00 p.m., when we all left to go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Monson, ME. DNA expects to arrive there Friday (9/5/13). I am awaiting for word from him when "to appear" along the AT. He plans to summit 9/16 or 9/17. I do not think there are many intersecting road crossings along that 100 miles making it a terrible time to try to visit. I want to go but I do have limited time w/completing promised work here before the snow flys. My work season ends around 11/1/13 for painting. VT & NH fit my schedule so much better! Communications in ME (W/O text) seems almost non-existent except for summit. It will be hard to locate him and all that beer. -Confused Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday 9/6/13-Congratulations are probably in order for you both, Morning Kid and the wholw "Crew". I was with you in spirit! I admire your staying together. Morning Kid was to summit 9/5. I have completed 3 different approaches to Mt K and climbed it a few more times. Traveling along the arete (Knife's Edge) will be my first weather allowing. My foot finally healed after 11 weeks from my May 31st surgery. I can hike better now. ALDHS (American Long Distance Hiking Society) will hold its annual recognition ceremony in October (I believe Oct 11-13) in Shippensburg U. "Hope to see U-all!" - South of the Border, BA

    ReplyDelete