Friday, June 21, 2013

06-13-13 Somewhere where day turned to night



100% chance of thunderstorms. Tore down the tent in a hurry. The nearest shelter was two miles away. We dashed off in a hurry.

The sky turned black. I needed my headlamp; no time. The wind picked up. A branch fell to my left; to my right. I started running. The downpour started. The path turned to a river. Lightning. Thunder.

Please Lord, let me live through this.

Finally, safe in the shelter. We let the worst pass then headed back out.

A new milestone: we crossed the Maryland / Pennsylvania border which is also the Mason-Dixon Line. A little farther up, we hitchhiked into Waynesboro, Pennsylvania.

After a quick resupply and a pizza lunch with our friend, Etch-A-Sketch, we were back on the trail aiming for shelter for the night.

The forecast said another storm system was coming through which either never materialized or missed us. Regardless, it was a peaceful night with fireflies sparkling all around.


No comments:

Post a Comment