Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Somewhere on the Appalachian Trail - What's in B's Bag?



When shopping for gear for the trip; we had to ask ourselves;

"Do we need this?"

"How much does it weigh?"

We did not buy any clothing because we had plenty of running and cycling clothing that was perfect for backpacking. The rest of the gear we made, repurposed, or bought specific for the trip. Since we always camp together, we could share a lot of items. The end goal was for both of us to have our "on the back" weight minus food and water close to 15 pounds. I got to about 18 with winter gear.

I only sent one item home early, my glasses, the rest was exactly what I needed.

Gear I have been impressed with:

REI quarter dome tent - married people need 2 doors yet it is still light.
Columbia omni-dry pants - dry nearly instantly
Marmot Hydrogen sleep bag - kept me warm even when it dropped in the teens even though it is only rated for 30.
Osprey exos backpack - light
Princeton Tech headlamp - only American made lamp and they really fixed me up at trail days
Homemade balaclava - awesome, thank you Mr Hawkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment