Sunday, July 7, 2013

06-29-13 Hanging out with the Jersey Bruins Together



Our morale started out low today--wet feet, rocks, mosquitoes. We climbed up the Catfish Lookout Tower to escape the bugs. The break, view and mid-morning snack eased our spirits.

Around lunchtime the trail smoothed out and we stopped for lunch on the rocks. We were excited to see Shaman and he joined us also.

Further up the trail we stopped to talk to two day-hikers from Jersey. One of them said, "there's a bear!" The bear slowly sauntered by us about 20 yards away. Very exciting!

About two miles out from camp, B went on ahead while I stopped to "talk to nature," if you know what I mean. I continued on and heard a slight rustle to my left. Behind the bushes was a bear about 10 feet away.

I froze. He froze. I stared. He stared. He started to slowly move. I blew my whistle to scare him off. He ran but then popped out onto the trail.

For the next ten minutes I blew my whistle and clanked my poles. I looked around nervously, stopping often to turn around for a peak.

I made it to camp safe and sound. We met up with Shaman, Etch-a-Sketch, DNA, OB and Danno. Late in the evening Bamboo and Morning Kid rolled in, and we enjoyed a small reunion. Interestingly enough, we all saw bears today. What an exciting day!


1 comment:

  1. As a wise man once told me, when morale gets low, "just walk it off!"!
    Also, that bear was amazing, so cool!

    ReplyDelete