Wednesday, July 3, 2013

06-25-13 Hanging Out With Dad Together



"Hi, is this Brandon?" I had never met this person, and probably will never see her again, but she provided us the best trail magic we could ever hope for.

To fully understand the story let's rewind twelve hours earlier.

We woke up at 5:30 to make it into Palmerton, Pennsylvania early. Our motivation: my dad was coming town and we wanted to get cleaned up first. Our intentions were countered by rocks. Started with the Knife's Edge and moved on to the graffitied yet pretty Bake Oven Knob. By the time we got done with those 4 miles, we were already 30 min off our normal pace.

We pushed and pulled our way along the trail and somehow gained back a little time. We managed to get to town near our target and just before the rain.

Dad showed up with a few goodies--new toe socks for K (she has high-maintenance toes, don't ask), a poncho, and other odds and ends. the most coveted goodie though included 4 bags of Grandma's cookies and 1 bag of cookies from Joni. Thank you!

We ran a few errands with Etch-a-Sketch and DNA and ended at the Bethlehem Diner for dinner. I had used K's wallet--actually it's just a Ziplock bag--at an earlier errand. At dinner she asked for it back and I realized it was no longer in my possession. After tearing apart the car and my memory, we ate dinner, all the while strategizing where it might be.

As we drove back, retracing our steps, I got a phone call. The stranger on the other end had found the wallet and by some mystery my phone number as well.

When we reunited with the wallet, the lady found my phone number on the receipt for K's pants during Trail Days. I never leave my number with vendors, but miraculously this time I had, and miraculously K had kept the receipt for over a month. God's trail magic.

Truly an amazing day--thank you Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment