Tuesday, July 16, 2013

07-08-13 Somewhere near Mount Egbert



The green-blazed trail back to the Appalachian Trail wasn't as bad on fresh feet; still a horribly laid out trail though.

Our first milestone of the day was Shenandoah Mountain where we were treated to a view and a 9-11 Memorial.

For lunch we road walked into the outskirts of Stormville, New York for a deli sandwich at Mountaintop Market Deli. What a treat! The sandwich was delicious.

A new game of mine is watching for mushrooms along the trail. With the wet weather, there are so many types. One of the white varieties, I learned, is more deadly if ingested than a rattlesnake's bite.

The trail and weather was awesome today, and we made it to the campsite by 3:30 p.m. Enjoyed a long and relaxing evening with friends.

3 comments:

  1. Heads Up, Maybe a Weather alert for Saturday? It is an orange bar for MD. Where else I do not know? Our weather channel has started warning 7 days before of this powerful thunder storm. I am guessing a powerful cold front is coming or maybe a low off the coast. I have not seen potential cause in any report.
    I shall have to stop at MT Top Market my next time out that way. The subs look good. Today is another 100+ degree humiture! The real air temp is 95 today. Did they sell cell phone batteries? -Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to bring a mushroom book I have in my possession on my next visit. Thank you for giving me definite location fix. Place names do just fine. I have an Awol Bk. I am always guessimating where the group is and when I may be able to break away from the world of several responsibilities. I am in the middle of preparing a house for the real estate market. Those types of demands are always a rush job to meet deadlines inspite of weather. I have camped in MA after summer flooding and the parks were closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do bring the book; it will be fun to compare photos with the book. Good luck with the house. We look forward to seeing you on the trail--take care!

    ReplyDelete